SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

SPEARING MINOQUA CHAIN

4/11/24 @ 10:54 AM
INITIAL POST
Noknot
User since 12/23/21

I see the tribes have declared they are going to spear the Minoqua chain  guess 10 years of closure to rebuild the population and banning everyone else from keeping any was just a waste. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 80 posts
TODAY @ 9:06 AM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
Could speared lakes be restocked every year by a "walleye wagon"? The stocking could be funded by 50% spearers and 50% fishing people. Any business, fishing person, or company could donate. Both sides would be able to harvest every year. The funds would be checked by both sides. The DNR and Walleyes for Tomorrow could give their side. It might be a way to help the problem. I would think both sides would win. Just an opinion.
TODAY @ 7:51 AM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
I’ll meet you halfway GP.  Take into consideration that we must abide by set limits while ice fishing which doesn’t affect me personally because I don’t keep any Walleye, & haven’t for a number of years now. What I would ask you & others to consider is that closing the game fish season gives the fishery that window of protection thus allowing them to spawn. Big big difference I’m my eyes. We invest in assuring the fishery an opportunity to spawn by honoring the closed season while others take that time frame to harm the fishery. Again, big big difference.  
TODAY @ 7:08 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
For the record I think spearing definitely impacts walleye populations, but more from the point of over harvesting not necessarily the timing of the harvest.  A dead walleye is a dead walleye,  shoving a spear in a walleyes back during the spawn isn't much different than harvesting them through the ice.  Either method takes takes females full of eggs out of the reproductive equation one method does during the spawn the other does it a few weeks before.
5/1/24 @ 11:06 PM
CCLUND
User since 5/29/11
In 2023 there was approximately 1.14 million fishing licenses sold for non Great lakes fishing, set line,sturgeon spearing, etc. What I calculated for inland WI fishing. That is down in total from 2021. It also doesn't allow for the people who only fish bass, musky, panfish, catfish, or boundary waters.
2020 and 2021 were peak license years because of Covid. 
Hook and line harvest is just part of the problem but anyone claiming spearing does not affect walleye populations is full of you know what!
5/1/24 @ 10:03 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
Make sure to wear a harness. You’re probably right.
5/1/24 @ 9:58 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Taking a buck off the landscape has absolutely no ill effect on deer population as a different buck will step right in. Every doe gets bred, if not during her first estrus, she’ll come in again later & get bred. We’re getting off topic here & I’m all rutted up now so, off to my tree stand. 
5/1/24 @ 9:47 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
Walleye give out how many eggs vs a ​whitetail?
5/1/24 @ 9:45 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
Big walleye is a dime a dozen. Big mature whitetail isn’t. Genetics of the buck is just as important. Taking him out before he can repopulate the herd is just as devastating. Just my 2.
5/1/24 @ 9:42 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
What does hunting the rut, hoping to harvest a male deer, which certainly doesn’t hurt the overall population of deer in any way shape or form, have to do with shovin a spear into the back of a female Walleye with a belly full of spawn. 
5/1/24 @ 9:40 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
Glad we’re on the same page!
5/1/24 @ 9:37 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Ps, me to.  
5/1/24 @ 9:36 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
Big bucks are at their most valuable during the rut. End of October into early November. That’s when all the big time bow hunters are in the stand. Looking to stick an arrow into a whitetail.

Ps. Me too!!
5/1/24 @ 9:29 PM
topam
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
I’m always in the rut.  😍
5/1/24 @ 9:28 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
BTW, I don’t hunt in the rut.  
5/1/24 @ 9:26 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
How so?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 80 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE